martes, 31 de octubre de 2017

Verbs that are followed by -ing or infinitive

Verbs that are followed by -ing or to infinitive have to be learnt by heart. Some verbs need to be explained.


Some verbs that go with TO INFINITIVE



– Teach + to infinitive = "enseñar". Example: My mother taught me to swim when I was 5 years old.

– Learn + to infinitive = "aprender". Example: When did you learn to cook?

– Tend + to infinitive = "tender", "ser propenso a". Example: I tend to repeat the same things to my students.

– Promise + to infinitive = "prometer". Example: I promise not to tell anyone.

– Pretend + to infinitive = "fingir". Example: I used to pretend to be sick when I didn’t want to go to school.

– Can’t afford + to infinitive = "no poder permitirse". Example: I would like to buy a new car, but I can’t afford to buy it (or I can’t afford it)




Some verbs that go with ING

– Can’t stand + ing = "no soportar". Example: I can’t stand walking in the sun in summer when it’s so hot.

– Can’t/Couldn’t help + ing = "no poder evitar". Example: I couldn’t help laughing when he fell off the chair.

– Imagine + ing = "imaginar". Example: I can’t imagine speaking German fluently, I find it so difficult…

– Risk + ing = "arriesgarse", "correr el riesgo". Example: I wouldn’t risk leaving the door unlocked at night, it’s something that has always frightened me.

– Spend + time + ing = "pasar (tiempo)". Example: I spent 30 minutes talking on the phone with mum yesterday.

– Practise + ing = "practicar". Example: Why don’t you practise speaking English with native people in the summer?

– Give up + ing = "dejar de hacer algo". Example: I gave up smoking 20 years ago.

– Fancy + ing = "apetercer". Example: do you fancy seeing a film tonight?

– Keep + ing = "seguir". Example: keep trying!

– Enjoy + ing = "disfrutar". Example: I enjoy swimming in the sea.

– Hate + ing = "odiar". Example: I hate studying at night, but I do it quite often.



There are some verbs that can be followed by both options, but with a change in meaning


The verb "like"
  • Like + ing: to deal with hobbies. 
Example: I like playing the piano = "Me gusta tocar el piano". You enjoy playing the piano.
  • Like + to infinitive = you do not enjoy with it, but you do it because it is good for you. 
Example: I like to go to the dentist twice a year = "Me gusta ir al dentista dos veces al año". You go because it is good for your health.

Another examples:

- I like eating vegetables. If you eat vegetables as a pleasure, because you like them.

- I like to eat vegetables every week. They’re good for your health.



The verb "try"

  • Try + ing = it is used to give a solution, an advise or suggestion. Its translation into Spanish is a little bit complicate. Sometimes we would translate it as "intentar", "probar", "tomar", etc; it depends on the situation. 
For example:

A. I have a headache. B. Why don’t you try having an aspirin? = the solution for the headache would be an aspirin. ¿Por qué no pruebas tomándote una aspirina? ¿Por qué no te tomas una aspirina?

Another example:

A. My mobile isn’t working properly today. B. Try switching it off and switching it on again after some minutes. It works sometimes… = Intenta apagarlo y encenderlo... Prueba apagándolo y encendiéndolo...


  • Try + to infinitive = in this case, "intentar" is more used, but it can also be translated into "suponer un esfuerzo". It is used when you want to express that it is hard to do something. 
Example: I tried to reach the picture to clean it, but I couldn’t. I’m not tall enough = "Intenté/me supone un esfuerzo llegar al cuadro, de hecho, no lo conseguí porque no es muy alto/a".

Another example: He is trying to walk on a frame, but he can’t, his legs are too weak after his operation.



The verb "forget"

  • Forget + ing =it is used when we are making reference to a past action. 
Some examples

- I will never forget travelling to England when I was 16.

- Will you ever forget seeing the Empire State Building? I won’t.

  • Forget + to infinitive = when we are not referring to past, because the action has not been completed. 
Some examples:

- Don’t forget to phone Peter to tell him that the party has been cancelled = "No te olvides de llamar a Pedro para decirle que la fiesta se ha cancelado".

- Another example: I forgot to send the email to the manager. I’ll be in trouble now = "Me olvidé de enviar el correo..." Action was not completed because the email was not sent.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Sports vocabulary

Sports vocabulary Aerobics  Archery Athletics Badminton Baseball Basketball Billiards Boxing Bo...